An upcoming charity ball is aiming to raise awareness for motor neurone disease and its' effect on the Griffith area.
The MND Charity Ball at the Yoogali Club will be held on September 14.
Organiser of the event Kylie Zanesco said the event aims to increase knowledge of what MND is and its effect on the community.
"A lot of people don't realise what it is," Mrs Zanesco said.
"Griffith has seven times the national average of motor neurone [disease sufferers], so there really needs to be something done to try and help."
Two people die each day as a result of MND nationally and Mrs Zanesco said research into the disease is aiming to find a cure.
"10 per cent [of MND cases] is inherited from a faulty gene and the other 90 per cent is sporadic and it's environmental," she said.
"Our family is affected by motor neurone, so we thought that we'd like to try and help raise money to find a cure."
More than 400 people are expected to fill the Yoogali Club for the event, with former world champion boxer Jeff Fenech leading the event as the master of ceremonies.
Guests will be treated to a night of excitement while also learning more about the disease, with Professor Gilles Guillemin - the lead researcher into MND at the Macquarie University MND Research Centre - giving a presentation on the disease alongside bands and a three course dinner.
All money raised will be going to the Macquarie University MND Research Centre.
Tickets are $100 per person and can be purchased at Rawlinson and Brown, Old Belahlee or Luxe Shoes and Accessories but those interested must be quick to book their spot as ticket sales will close on Monday September 9.
While you're with us, did you know that you can now receive updates straight to your inbox every Monday at 6am from The Area News? To make sure you're up to date with all the Griffith and MIA news you can sign up here.