LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Melburnians could know by the end of the week if lockdown will lift early, with Victoria on track to reach its 70 per cent double vaccination target ahead of schedule.
* The city was expected to exit its sixth hard lockdown on October 26, but the rate of people taking up COVID-19 vaccinations means the coverage target will be achieved earlier.
* Victoria recorded 1571 new locally acquired infections and 13 deaths on Wednesday, taking the toll of the current outbreak to 114.
* NSW is also on track to hit the state's next COVID-19 vaccination target within days, but the premier has flagged the planned easing of some restrictions may be delayed.
* A further 444 new local COVID-19 cases were diagnosed in the 24 hours to 8pm on Tuesday, and another four deaths, as the state rapidly approaches its 80 per cent vaccination milestone.
* Some 75.23 per cent of people over 16 in NSW are fully vaccinated and 90.77 per cent have had at least one dose.
* A NSW man who arrived in Tasmania without a valid border pass and escaped hotel quarantine has tested positive to coronavirus.
* Canberra primary school and early childhood staff will be mandated to get COVID-19 vaccines, as the ACT looks set to stop listing low-risk exposure sites.
* The ACT recorded 51 new cases of coronavirus on Wednesday, almost a single-day record for infections in the territory.
* Queensland has eased restrictions on travel to and from all NSW border communities regardless of COVID-19 cases, in a further hint the state could be moving towards reopening its borders.
* Dozens of remote Aboriginal communities are likely to have COVID-19 vaccination rates below the benchmarked 80 per cent when the Northern Territory becomes part of a national plan to ease border and travel restrictions.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 31,358,609 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Tuesday, including 338,127 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 18,280,612 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 229,042 in the previous 24 hours).
* 13,077,997 have been administered by the states and territories, including 109,085 in the previous 24 hours.
* Nationwide, 83.2 per cent of people aged over 16 have received one vaccine dose while 64.4 per cent are fully vaccinated.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 2066 local cases on Wednesday: 1571 in Victoria, 4444 in NSW and 51 in the ACT.
* There were four hotel quarantine cases: two in NSW, and one each in Victoria and SA.
* The national death toll is 1478: Victoria 934, NSW 504, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, ACT 9, and SA 4. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 238,704,000.
* Deaths: at least 4,865,000.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 6,515,037,000.
Data current as at 1730 AEDT on October 13, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Australian Associated Press