The region's health district will look to double the intensive care capacity at Griffith Base Hospital in response to the potential impact of coronavirus.
There has been one confirmed case within the Murrumbidgee Local Health District to date, with the first case confirmed to be in the Border region on Sunday but as of March 24 there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 within the MIA.
In a statement released on Tuesday morning, MLHD said they will move towards doubling the capacity of intensive care at Griffith Base Hospital in response to the pandemic, which will mean some non-urgent elective surgeries will either be postponed or moved to private facilities.
MLHD's executive director of medical services Dr Lenert Bruce said the move will not change cases of urgent surgery or the hospital's emergency and trauma theatres.
"The changes will apply to non-urgent cases, which include some non-urgent ear nose and throat, general surgery, urology and orthopaedic procedures," Dr Bruce said.
"We are now working closely with our clinicians to prioritise these cases.
"We are also liaising with private providers to undertake these elective surgeries in their facilities, helping to minimise the impact on those currently waiting for a procedure."
Remaining theatres at the hospital will be shared among all specialities, allowing urgent and emergency cases to be prioritised, while C-section lists will continue as normal.
At smaller sites around the region, elective surgery will continue as normal until further notice from MLHD.
Dr Bruce said MLHD will continue to keep the community updates as new information becomes available.
"I know these are challenging times," Dr Bruce said.
"But the community can be assured that the District is doing absolutely everything possible to protect and maintain the health of the people of the Murrumbidgee.
"We are in the best position possible to deal with the increased demand and with cases of COVID-19."
The health district also issued a reminder for those visiting patients in hospital that a limit has been placed on one visitor at any one time.
The intention to double capacity comes after the state government announced a $2.3 billion package to help tackle the COVID-19 outbreak last week.
As part of the package, NSW Health will receive $700 million to assist in doubling ICU capacity, preparing for additional COVID-19 testing, purchasing additional ventilators and medical equipment, establishing acute respiratory clinics and bringing forward elective surgeries to private hospitals.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we aim to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.