SWIMMING: The Griffith School Swimming Baths, built with voluntary labour, was 25 yards long and opened in 1930. Almost immediately, Griffith Swimming Club was formed and, during the winter of that year, extended the pool to 50 yards. The pool served school children and the community until 1950, when the Olympic Pool was constructed.
BOXING: Fights were held in the Rio Theatre. Jack Haines, Harry Hayes. Hanley Tilden (professional name Harry Hayes)and Terry Meehanstarted their boxing careers in Griffith.
TENNIS: The WC & IC built the first courts adjacent to the barracks, opposite Mirrool House. The first Griffith Tennis Club courtswere builtin 1924, opposite the post office, before the Rural Bank was erected. Then, in early 1930, courts were established on land east of Tranter Place between Banna Avenue and the railway line. In 1950, the courts were moved to Jubilee Park.
CRICKET: Cricket were first held in the area in the 1890s. Griffith District Cricket Association matches were played over time against Bilbul, Yanco and Yenda. Cricket was played on Sundays. This was changed in the late 1960s.
FOOTBALL: Griffith and District Football Association was formed in 1921. Griffith Australian Rules Club first played in a competition against Darlington Point, Whitton and Yarrabah Mission Station from 1914. Griffith Rugby League Club started playing in 1921. First known the All Blacks, then the Magpies and now the Black and Whites.
BOCCE: Several Italian families established bocce courts on their farms. Bocce days became regular social outings.