Women attending a representative gathering launched the Griffith branch of the Country Women's Association on August 19, 1926.
The founding office bearers were Miss Audrey Griffin (president), Mrs Soothill and Miss K Smith (vice-presidents), Miss E Fairlie-Cunningham (honorary secretary) and Mrs Julie Morel (honorary treasurer).
After years of hard work, the CWA rest rooms were finally opened on June 27, 1931. Mrs Bradbury, a past president, performed the opening. Even though the branch had a home, it was in debt - but the days ahead were faced with confidence. Extensions consisting of a lounge room, library, office and bathroom were opened on September 3, 1936.
A baby health centre was built on the grounds and opened on December 6, 1934 with a debt of £64. The keys of the building were handed to the CWA. An additional waiting room was built in 1939 with funds raised by 2RG Sunshine Club members.
This marked another achievement "through countrywomen, for countrywomen by countrywomen". The buildings were debt free by 1942. An inspector commented that the centre and rest rooms were the best she had seen.
Years later, the baby health centre required improvements. The branch was unable to finance these, so the shire took over the financial responsibility. The shire built a new baby health centre on the site where the Griffith Library extension now stands. This was opened November 16, 1962.
The CWA still occupies the original building, but the Griffith Genealogical and Historical Society has used the original baby health centre building since 1984.