An asbestos-filled house on Canal Street was damaged by fire on Sunday morning.
Fire and Rescue NSW were called to the scene of the fire at around 10.15am, and crews from Griffith, Yenda, and Leeton worked together to control the blaze.
It was a large, "fully involved" fire that had spread to much of the building, but firefighters managed to completely extinguish the flames after a few hours.
Police officers cordoned off the area and warned onlookers to stay away from the area, citing asbestos risk.
However, Fire and Rescue NSW officer in charge Danielle McKay said nearby residents on Canal Street needn't worry about asbestos contamination.
"As long as they don't go climbing through the building they will be safe," Ms McKay said.
"Once it's been wet down it's usually safe."
Griffith police officers are currently investigating the cause of the fire, and have set up an exclusion zone until further notice.
Anybody with any information can contact Griffith Police Station's front desk, which is on 6969 4299, or call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
While you're with us, did you know that you can now receive updates straight to your inbox every Monday at 6am from The Area News? To make sure you're up to date with all the Griffith and MIA news you can sign up here