Part one of the Griffith Genealogical and Historical Society's exploration of the region's hospitals.
Another private hospital for Griffith.
Not this year, but back in 1923, the Boomerang Private Hospital was established in Binya Street, by Sister Kate Foster who already had a small hospital in Yenda.
Other hospitals came before it. The Bagtown Tent Hospital started in 1911, with wooden floors, a tin roof and state-of-the-art hessian walls lined with newspaper.
It was run by Nurse Lillian Burns who was paid two guineas per week.
A confinement cost three guineas.
Dr Watkins visited weekly from Whitton, but when soldiers returned from WW1 with Spanish flu, Dr Watkins and staff used Hanwood Hall as an infectious ward.
Dr Watkins relocated to Griffith and Sister Foster worked for him and Dr Burrell. Dr Burrell owned and ran St Luke's Hospital on the corner of what is now known as Burrell Place.
In 1919 a hospital was built in Banna Avenue and had a few names: The Field Hospital, The Cottage Hospital, and The WC&IC Hospital. It was officially opened on April 4, 1921.
Woodlands Private Maternity Hospital owned by Dr Bodycombe and run by Sister Theodora Griffin in the mid-1920s was in Binya Street.
Midwives were still in demand as many babies were born at home.
The Loretto Hospital was in Hyandra Street.
Yenda had several small hospitals, Sylvania Hospital, Poona Private Hospital and Cazna Hospital
By 1926 plans were being made for a new hospital on a permanent site capable of handling expected growth of the area. Stay tuned for more about that soon.