FRUSTRATED motorists could be waiting months for the Hanwood roundabout works to be complete.
Residents from Griffith, Hanwood, Bilbul, and further have been putting up with the inconvenience of traffic build-up – with only a single lane in use – as well as dust storms, and the dangers of potential collision.
The $1.6 million project at the intersection of the Kidman Way and Thorne Road began in April and was due to be ready this month, however Griffith City Council (GCC) has confirmed “a minor delay” has blown that timeframe out to October.
Bilbul resident and road train driver Locky Miller believes work at the site has been stopped for more than five weeks.
“The motoring public in Griffith just want to know what is actually happening with that job,” Mr Miller said.
The Area News visited the site on Friday to find all traffic had been diverted to a single lane, with two temporary traffic lights in use.
Mr Miller noted the danger for motorists who stop too close to the traffic lights as he and other truck drivers need all the space they can get to move along the makeshift road and between the roadwork signs and traffic cones.
“When I come through there with a road train, I need all of that room to get through,” he said.
“And, if you look at all the tyre marks from all the trucks going through from Hanwood, you’ll see they are actually taking up half the lane right where the traffic light is.
“People drive through the ‘stop here’ sign right to the traffic light and are basically blocking the intersection.
“If you are going to stop work on a site like that, you would make it safer and less inconvenient for the traffic by opening up two lanes.”
GCC’s director of infrastructure and operations Phil King said the works “are currently experiencing a minor delay associated with the relocation of electrical infrastructure.”
“These works are council-controlled works and being undertaken in cooperation with Roads and Maritime Services (RMS),” Mr King said.
He said the process began in May last year, and council is currently working with a contract designer and Essential Energy, in relocating power poles.
“Council would like to remind the travelling public that the 40km/hr speed zone is enforceable and thank everyone for their continuing patience during this frustrating time,” Mr King said.
“Council still has pavement stabilising to complete, installation of concrete kerb and medians, and the final asphalt surface to place.”
The anticipated completion date for the project is now in October.