In an unusual twist, Griffith’s Fire and Rescue 311 attended an electrical fire at a motel in Kidman Way on Monday morning, to find the device alight was a smoke detector.
Captain of Griffith’s Fire and Rescue Station 311 Kevin Roth said the fire was caused by water leaking through the roof and onto the hard wired smoke detector.
“Smoke alarms are supposed to detect fires not cause them!” Mr Roth said.
“However as you can imagine water and electricity never mix well, causing the small electrical fire.”
“This is very unusual, but it’s something that happened and it’s all in a day's work – you just never know what to expect when you get called out.”
To report a fire emergency, call Triple Zero (000). If you are deaf or have a speech or hearing impairment call 106.
Sign up here for your four week free trial to The Area News.
In the meantime you can sign up now for our free weekly newsletter.