Narrandera man faced court with nine charges

The man arrested in Narrandera on Friday appeared before Wagga Wagga District Court on Sunday.

He was arrested by Griffith Police after a violent spree that allegedly saw another man smashed with a tomahawk and an attempted armed robbery.

He appeared before the court charged with the following offences:

  • Two counts of Breaching Apprehended Violence Order
  • Police pursuit: non stop
  • Two accounts of driving while disqualified
  • Stealing
  • Use of unaurthorised number plates
  • Wounding with intention to inflict grievous bodily harm
  • Armed robbery

He was also facing charges on other matters occurring across Wagga Wagga and Albury prior to his arrest.

He was refused bail, and is due back before the Wagga court again on April 11.


Police began a search for the 25-year-old man after an alleged domestic violence incident in Audley Street in Narrandera around 1pm on Thursday February 1.

According to police, the man was involved in an argument with his 28-year-old partner at a home, which he then left.

A search for the man began, and he returned to the house shortly after 10pm and a physical altercation with a 47-year-old man ensued.

“The older man was allegedly struck with a tomahawk and suffered head and facial injuries while the 25-year-old man suffered a stab wound to the abdomen and left the home,” police said at the time.

He is then believed to have gone to a nearby service station on the Newell Highway, where he refuelled his car and then threatened the console operator, demanding cash.

Crime scenes were established at both the Audley Street home and the service station.

A later sighting of the man allegedly saw police led on a short pursuit before officers terminated it. 

The 25-year-old was eventually arrested around 1am on Friday. He was taken to Narrandera Hospital, where he remained under guard, for treatment of the stab wound.

A number of items have been seized from a Douglas Street, Narrandera home and will be tested by forensics as the investigation continues.

The 47-year-old man was treated at Narrandera Hospital before being transferred to Wagga Rural Referral Hospital, where he remains in a serious but stable condition. His injuries are regarded as non life-threatening.