Electrical fault likely cause of fire

A GRIFFITH home was ravaged by fire in the early hours of Monday morning.

Firefighters were called to the blaze on Murrumbidgee Avenue at 5.45am to find a single-story fibro and tin house well alight.

A concerned neighbour noticed flames coming from the windows of the house next door and called triple-0.

Fire and Rescue NSW deployed two trucks from Griffith and one from Yenda to tackle the blaze.

Fourteen crew wearing breathing apparatus forced entry into the house from the front and rear of the premises.

By the time the fire was extinguished, 80 per cent of the home had been destroyed by fire, heat and smoke.

Examination of the scene has been conducted by NSW Fire and Rescue inspector and a crime scence investigator.

Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Rick Jones said the fire was under investigation.

"The fire is under investigation but is not being treated as suspicious," he said.

"I believe the home owners are away but an early theory suggests self-timer lights were the cause is unlikely.

"However, it's most likely the fire was electrical."

Inspector Jones said the fire was the biggest blaze in Griffith for the past two months.


Discuss "Electrical fault likely cause of fire"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.