Riverina Rhinos fall to Gungalin United in National Premier League

The Riverina Rhinos have been left feeling frustrated after dubious calls went against them in their 3-0 loss to Gungahlin United at Yellowtail Park.

In a game between two evenly matched sides, it looks as if it would remain 0-0 heading into half time.

However, a mistake at the back allowed United midfielder Anthony Giorgi to pounce on the loose ball and place it past Nick Capaldi in the Rhinos goal.

The Rhinos came out in the second half looking to find the equaliser. However, the job was made difficult after Gungahlin were awarded a penalty after a United player was pushed into Capaldi.

Giorgi stepped up to convert the penalty to give his side a 2-0 lead.

The game threatened to get out of control after Zac Fattore was punched by a United player after the Rhinos defender gave away a foul, claims of which were laughed off by the official.

It was another moment of controversy which saw Gungahlin extend their lead to 3-0.

United were able to break through the Rhinos defence before the linesman put up his flag to signal offside.

After a discussion between the linesman and the referee, the main official decided to overrule his assistant and award the goal to Augustine Bangura.

As the game threatened to get out of control again with rash challenges flying in from United players the referee brought the game to an end to give United a 3-0 win.

It was a dampener on a positive day off the field for the Rhinos as they used their last home game of the season to raise money for the family of Harry Laurie.

Harry passed away early this year after he was hit by a ute while riding a motorbike in Yoogali.

Rhinos’ Marc Johnson was pleased with how the day turned out.

“It was all about the family really and I’m just glad we could get his team to come down and walk out with our players,” he said.

“It just shows how important community is.

“Just to be able to get a lot of people down here to show that we care is really important.”

All of the proceeds from the day were donated to the Laurie family.