The centenary of the MIA Open is approaching, with the 100th tournament taking place over June 10 to 12.
The tournament will encompass 46 different events, including family doubles matches and a doubles competition where partner's ages must equal 100.
The MIA Open started in 1920, after a group of farmers decided to stage an annual tennis competition across various farms in the region. The tournament was later played on Banna Avenue before eventually finding it's home at Jubilee Park in 1955.
A number of MIA Open champions have later gone on to play and win at a national level, including players like Des Tyson, Lyn Andreazza, Danny Dossetor and Margot Dixon.
Daniel Dossetor grew up with the tournament and has won it nine times.
"I grew up playing junior tennis in Griffith, so ever since I was about five, I'd play in the tournament with the other juniors and then watch the others."
He said that while numbers had dropped due to Victoria not being able to compete, there were still going to be a good number of competitors.
"We had 230-odd entries, but regional Vic had to pull out so we're at around 180 competing which is still a lot so it's good."
Lorraine Maxwell, a tennis veteran and resident MIA Open historian, said that they were keen to make a production for the centenary.
"Last year's tournament was cancelled due to Covid, so we want our 100th tournament to be our biggest and best ever".
The tournament will be hosted by the Griffith Tennis Club and played at the Jack Shannon courts next to Jubilee Oval.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: