THE Griffith Show Society have made the decision to cancel the 99th annual Griffith Show due to COVID-19 uncertainties.
The final call was made at a meeting on Monday night, with president Brett Brown saying he wanted to prioritise public safety in light of the pandemic.
"We've got to look after the safety of our patrons and the safety of our volunteers," Mr Brown said.
"We didn't want to, we were trying to hold it, but in the end we just had to say no."
Griffith Show Society had announced earlier in June they were still intending to run the event, government restrictions permitting.
However, the volatile situation has led them to cancel the pre-centennial outing in favour of a bigger, better show next year.
"We're saving it all for the 100th now, we'll give that everything we've got," Mr Brown said.
"This year we're still going to have a shopfront display in the main street, but that's all we're doing.
"We're sorry, next year come along and help us get back on track."
The federal government announced a $36 million support fund for agricultural and royal shows earlier this year, in an effort to keep show societies afloat.
Deputy Prime Minister, Micheal McCormack, said the pandemic has impacted countless had an impact on many agricultural shows, causing significant hurt to regional Australia.
"Agricultural shows are part of the fabric of regional Australia, showcasing everything positive about our communities and local industries," Mr McCormack said.
"They create social bonds and improve mental health in parts of regional Australia where distance, drought, bushfires and now COVID-19 have caused significant hardship and distress."
The Griffith Show Society wanted to extend their thanks to volunteers, sponsors, competitors, exhibitors and patrons.