The region's state member has been accused of running a social media campaign of "mis-information" about changes to the NSW and Victoria border permit system.
Nationals MLC Wes Fang has accused Member for Murray Helen Dalton of misleading people in regards to the changes, stating Mrs Dalton has been "playing politics" during a time of crisis.
However, Mrs Dalton has denied the claims and said she was still seeking clarification from the state government regarding people who live outside the border zone crossing the border to receive access to healthcare and education.
Mr Fang pointed to a post made through Mrs Dalton's Facebook page on July 19 which was posted after a meeting Mrs Dalton attended concerning the changes to the system, which indicated people from outside the border zone who make the trip across the border for education or healthcare reasons may not be able to self isolate for 14 days each time.
"We are trying to keep NSW safe from the hotspots in Victoria and the best way to do that is ensure that we as a government try and isolate any of those cases coming into the state," Mr Fang said.
"The obvious place to do that is on the border and so we have implemented the new health orders.
"What they do is obviously restrict some of the travel across the border - what they do not do is they do not stop people from attending schools, they do not stop people from receiving healthcare and they do not generally stop people from going to work.
"That has been made abundantly clear by the cross border commissioner [and] the Member for Murray knows that."
According to Service NSW, as of July 22 those looking to enter Victoria from NSW are required to re-apply for a permit as new changes and restrictions to the permit system are added.
Those entering Victoria to attend or work at schools, pre-schools and childcare facilities are allowed to cross the border to attend those locations but must travel directly to and from the location and comply with any directions made about school attendance.
A permit will not be required for those crossing the border for medical, hospital, dental of veterinary care in emergency situations provided they travel by the most practicable route and directly to and from the place where the service is provided - while in non-emergency situations a permit must be required and they must travel directly to and from the location.
Seasonal workers from Victoria will not be allowed entry into NSW, while all critical service providers except for freight will be required to self-isolate except for when performing the critical service - which includes dental and veterinary care.
Mrs Dalton told The Area News on Tuesday she had received clarification regarding crossing the border for education on Tuesday, but was still waiting for further clarification regarding those who live outside the border zone heading into Victoria to receive healthcare.
"Only today [Tuesday] we've got a bit of clarification about going to schools because there's people with kids from NSW who go down to Shepparton for school," Mrs Dalton said.
"Yesterday it was all up in the air ... we need a little bit more information about health because a lot of people go down to Bendigo.
"You run your eye down the Murray River and there's very little [healthcare services on the NSW side] and we've been crying out to the government - even before COVID-19 - about the lack of hospital care.
"NSW have been bludging on the Victorians for years and here it is now, we're in a state of crisis - you can't treat a kid now in Deniliquin - and now we've got all these restrictions, what the hell are we going to do?"
Mr Fang said the information regarding crossing the border for healthcare had already been provided to Mrs Dalton and said she was spreading fear through communities within the region.
"For those people who are seeking healthcare - particularly for treatment of cancer and other chronic illnesses - to cite that you are not able to receive healthcare is incorrect, the cross border commissioner today [Tuesday] has strongly denied that," Mr Fang said.
"My understanding is that she was left in no doubt about that from the briefing but then to go out and say people will not be able to receive cancer treatment creates fear and creates added stress onto people who are already vulnerable in the name of playing politics."
Mrs Dalton said as circumstances along the border are changing rapidly, she is seeking as much clarification as possible so any information put on social media is the correct information.
"We just want to be perfectly clear so that we do not put any stuff up on our Facebook that is not correct," Mrs Dalton said.
"It is a moving target - all of this is changing by the hour when they start to realise and get the complaints from people that are writing to the government saying, 'my husband can't work, my kids can't go to school, I've got chemo, I've got this, I've got that'.
"We've been working really hard to resolve some of these issues that have occurred because of the situation, so unless were all dreaming and everyone else is dreaming - but I think the person whose dreaming is Wes."
The allegations follow calls from Mrs Dalton to expand the size of the border zone on both sides of the border, calling for the zone to extend from as far south as Bendigo to as north as Griffith, claiming a larger zone would help people access services with ease.
"If you live within that border zone you can just go about your business," Mrs Dalton said.
"Because they've made it so narrow now people in say Deniliquin - and they're out of that zone - if they want to go to Echuca to a doctor they're in an out of the zone and would have had to self-isolate for 14 days.
"If the border zone was really large we could go about our business in that border zone - we could access our health, our education, our jobs - but at the moment it's a bit of a nightmare."