The 2020 Griffith Show is still looking to go ahead as planned in October as the federal government announces a support package aimed at helping agricultural shows make it through the coronavirus pandemic.
The federal government announced on Thursday agricultural and royal shows will have access to a $36 million support fund to keep show societies afloat.
Deputy Prime Minister Micheal McCormack said the pandemic has had an impact on many agricultural shows this year - with the Junee, Penrith, Orange, Coffs Harbour and Wagga Wagga shows among the cancelled to date.
"Agricultural shows are part of the fabric of regional Australia, showcasing everything positive about our communities and local industries," Mr McCormack said.
"They create social bonds and improve mental health in parts of regional Australia where distance, drought, bushfires and now COVID-19 have caused significant hardship and distress."
The Griffith Show Society - which is due to hold the 99th Griffith Show this year - announced on June 22 they still intend to run the event on October 4 but are monitoring all government restrictions.
Griffith Show Society president Brett Brown said while they are planning for a show similar to previous years to be held, a final decision as to what stays and what goes won't be made until the first weeks of September.
"We have planned for a full show," Mr Brown said.
"There's still things we've got to do ... if we don't use them [expenses already incurred], it's lost money.
"The beginning of September we'll work out what we can and can't do .. it will be dropping things out more than adding."
Mr Brown said if events are needing to be cut, it will likely be events where large crowds congregate, such as the fireworks and demolition derby.
"The sideshow alley group are putting together a COVID plan," Mr Brown said.
"We've been told they've got wash stations, distancing guidelines ... [but] we're waiting for conformation."
Federal agriculture, drought and emergency management minister David Littleproud said show societies will receive a one-off reimbursement to deal with cash-flow pressures stemming from the pandemic.
"We acknowledge the role shows play in connecting agriculture and regional Australia to metropolitan Australians," Mr Littleproud said.
"There is a real risk that if we don't help, that not only could Royal Shows cease to function the way they are now but also those small shows - all of which are run by volunteers - could fold."
Under the program, local show societies will be able to claim up to $10,000 if they had less than 2000 attendees in 2019, up to $15,000 if their attendance was between 2000 and 4999 and up to $70,000 if there was more than 5000 in attendance at last year's event.
Shows that have cancelled their show in 2020 due to coronavirus will be eligible, with reimbursements costs due to include insurance, rent, show body affiliation fees, utilities and rates among others.
Mr Brown said the society is not yet sure of how much the package will help them, they intend to meet in early July to go over their options further, also putting the call out for more volunteers to help provide additional services if there are still coronavirus restrictions in October.
"If it goes ahead we'll probably need a lot more volunteers," Mr Brown said.
"It's all uncharted territory ... if it goes ahead, they will want to get out [to events]."
Agricultural Shows of Australia chairman Dr Rob Wilson said the funding was vital to ensure events can run again after the pandemic ends.
"These iconic events provide community connections and well-being as well as encouraging agricultural education through competitions and bench-marking of agricultural pursuits and produce," Dr Wilson said.
The Griffith Show Society meets on the second Monday of each month and if you are interested in becoming a volunteer, you are recommended to call 0488 626 462.