Tips and tricks for the smallest rooms in the house:
- Take short showers. Soap up, wash down, rinse off.
- Install AAA-rated showerheads to save around 10 litres of water a minute.
- Rinse your razor in water in a plugged sink.
- Don't leave the tap running while brushing your teeth. Wet your toothbrush before you begin and turn off the tap. Either use a glass of water to rinse your mouth, or only turn the tap on when water is required.
- Shaving your legs in the shower takes more time and uses more water. Use warm water in a container to shave before you get into the shower. The shower is only needed to rinse off.
- Use a shower timer.
- Repair a continuously leaking or trickling toilet.
- If a new toilet is out of the question, install devices to reduce the volume of each flush. They work by causing the toilet to flush only for the duration that you hold the button down - short press, short flush.
- Avoid flushing the toilet unnecessarily. Dispose of tissues, insects and other such waste in the rubbish rather than the toilet (or, if you do, don't flush until necessary).