2019 has seen some fantastic achievements on the sporting fields in and around Griffith.
We have seen a Griffith junior represent the Junior Matildas in Jordan Jasnos, a women's rugby league player get picked up by the St George Illawarra and play for NSW in the women's State of Origin in Takilele Katoa just to name a couple of the individual achievements.
There were also drought-breaking premierships as the Darlington Point Coleambally Roosters ending a 31-year drought while the Griffith Swans reserve grade side were able to win a nail-biting grand final against Collingullie Glenfield Park and in doing so making it third time lucky.
There have also been teams moving competitions with Hanwood finally able to head across to Wagga after wanting to make the move for several years and were able to have immediate success with premierships in the first-grade men's and women's competitions.
Yoogali SC will be the next football team to enter new territory after picking up the available NPL2 licence after the Riverina Rhinos were folded and they will be hoping to make a strong start in that competition.
We also saw schools have success on the sporting fields with the Griffith East Public School AFL side taking home the state title while Griffith North was victorious in Basketball and Murrumbidgee Regional High School took home their first-ever state title with success in Rugby Union.
With such a successful year it is hard to narrow the list down to just a few stories but here are a couple of my favourites from 2019:
- Darlington Point Coleambally end their Group 20 first grade drought
- Busy 12 months for Jordan Jasnos
- Toby Price pays visit to Coleambally
- Griffith claim dramatic win against Collingullie-Glenfield Park
- Schirripa return propels Hanwood to grand final glory
- Yoogali SC accepted in the Capital Football NPL2 competition
- Griffith star Takilele Katoa into NRLW Grand Final
- Abby Favell continues to take steps towards achieving dream
- Baddock bound for green and gold
- Griffith East Public take out Tony Lockett Shield
While you're with us, did you know that The Area News is now offering sports as part of its growing email newsletter service? Our sports email will keep the sports-mad up-to-date with a round-up of all the weekend's sports action - sign up here.