In 1912, the MIA was governed by a commission, under the Minister for Agriculture, responsible for the development of the area, with Commissioner LAB Wade aided by an advisory board of representative settlers that demanded local government powers for the settlers
The Mirrool Settlers Association also clashed with the commission over poor agricultural advice, lack of a rail link and suspension of land rents.
In 1921 an executive board of four settler representatives, with no statutory power, was elected for Mirrool (Griffith) and Yanco areas, under Resident Commissioner G J Evatt.
A Commission of Enquiry in 1925 recommended Yanco Irrigation Area be proclaimed a shire, with the commission responsible for all bridges, drains, culverts and channels.
Mirrool Irrigation Area's proclamation was to be deferred until 1928.
A change of government granted the executive boards some power and in 1927, provisions were finally made for shires to cover Yanco and Mirrool areas separately.
In January 1928 the Government Gazette proclaimed two new shires, responsible for all local government services, and councillors for Shire of Wade were elected.
There were ongoing disputes between the commission and the council as to who had responsibility for roads, the town water supply, a sewerage system, town planning, for electricity, a fire fighting service and so on in the Shire.
These were finally settled in the 1930s.
In 1935 the new Council Chamber was built in Banna Avenue, re-located to Neville Place in 1960 and extended in 2008.