River-goers have been urged not use the Hay Weir Pool in the Murrumbidgee River after a red alert for Blue-green algae was issued on Wednesday.
The red alert follows laboratory results showing high levels of blue-green algae at the Hay Weir Buoy and Leonard Street sites where samples were collected recently.
The alert means the pool is unsuitable for recreational or domestic use, as well as posing a threat to pets and livestock.
Blue-green algae usually appear as green paint-like scums on the water, near the edges, or as greenish clumps throughout the water.
It makes the water appear dirty, green or discoloured and generally has a strong musty or earthy odour.
Warning signs are positioned at key recreational areas and will remain in place while high levels of blue-green algae are present.
The species of blue-green algae identified are potentially toxic and may cause gastroenteritis in humans if consumed and skin and eye irritations after contact. Boiling the water does not remove algal toxins.
People are advised not to enter the water, drink untreated water or bathe in water drawn from the dam while this Red Alert level warning is in place. Town water supplies remain unaffected and safe to drink.
Mussels or crayfish from red level warning areas should not be consumed.
Any fish caught should be cleaned and washed thoroughly in uncontaminated water and any internal organs disposed of before consumption. Blue-green algae is potentially toxic and may cause gastroenteritis in humans if consumed.
People who believe they may have been affected by blue-green algae are advised to seek medical advice.
Updates and information about blue-green algae blooms and red level warning areas can be obtained by calling 1800 999 457 or clicking here.
While you're with us, did you know that you can now receive updates straight to your inbox every Monday at 6am from The Area News? To make sure you're up to date with all the Griffith and MIA news you can sign up here.