A new group aimed at bringing working women together is having their inaugural event on December 12.
Griffith Women in Business is a non-for-profit group designed to connect, support and inspire local working women in our community.
President Belinda Johns, who runs Straight Lines Design & Marketing, said despite the name, the group is open to men and people who do not own a business.
“Anyone over 18 who supports our cause can join,” she said.
“If you look down Banna Avenue, there are so many businesses run by women – hairdressers, clothing shops, accounting firms etc … often they work alone and there are limited opportunities to connect with each other”.
Ms Johns said a particular challenge for women is how to manage a work/life balance.
Ms Johns herself is balancing running an emerging enterprise with raising two young children who will both be in primary school next year.
“I wouldn't be able to do it without family support, it must be hard for those who moved here”.
The group has five primary aims:
If you look down Banna Avenue, there are so many businesses run by women – hairdressers, grocers, clothing shops, accounting firms etc … often they work alone and there are limited opportunities to connect with each other.Belinda Johns
- To encourage, support and empower working women of all ages in Griffith
- To provide opportunities to build relationships and networks.
- To advance the careers of women in Griffith through mentoring, team building, inspiration and motivation.
- To facilitate business improvement and career advancement by sharing ideas and providing expert presenters and educational opportunities.
- To create an environment of friendship and inclusiveness amongst business women in Griffith.
The Griffith in Women launch will be on Tuesday 12 Dec from 5.30pm at Flowering Zucchini / Bidgee Studios Garden. Membership packages will be launched on the evening. Tickets online.