THOUSANDS of New South Wales university hopefuls have released a great sigh of relief after receiving a Main Round offer to study at university this year.
Main Round university offers were released by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) on Wednesday at 6pm, bringing an end to months of anticipation and nail-biting nerves.
After waiting out the summer in anticipation, Griffith High graduate Emilie Quinn found out on Wednesday she had been accepted into the course of her choice.
“6pm couldn’t come fast enough, I really wanted that offer and to know it has been secured is a great relief,” Miss Quinn said.
“This means I have something set for the future and I don't have to ask myself what I am doing because I now have a path to follow.”
Miss Quinn was accepted into a Bachelor of Nursing at the University of New England in Armidale, however, she has decided to defer for a year and begin her studies at TAFE.
“I am having a gap-year to spend time with family, and wrap my head around what I want to do, I think it is important to take a break and not jump into things too quickly,” she said.
“it has been really nerve-racking but I know where I am going and what I am doing now.”
Griffith High school year adviser Elizabeth Ridgway said securing a spot in a university has become more difficult due to increased competition, however, there are plenty of options available to university hopefuls who missed out on Main Round offers.
“It’s not the end if you don’t get a Main Round offer and in straight away, there are lots of different pathways and options to get you to where you want to go, she said.
“You can always find a way if it’s what you really want to do.”
Ms Ridgway recommended applicants wait for the second and third round offers, look into bridging courses, look at TAFE courses, and speak to their year adviser or a careers advisers for the best information on how to get into the course of their dreams.
“It’s not about failing it’s about changing your strategies and ending up at the same destination,” she said.