The Australia Day award nominees have been announced.
There are eight categories for this year and chairperson of the Australia Day Working Party Councillor Christine Stead was pleased to have a number of nominees to choose from.
“There are countless people in Griffith who donate their time selflessly to help others or commit themselves to any one of the many organisations formed to help those who can’t always help themselves,” she said.
“The Australia Day Awards are a fantastic way to pay tribute to and acknowledge the hard work and dedication of Griffith’s volunteers and sporting stars”.
The nominations for Citizen of the Year are:
Leonie Meginly and Terry Merriman
Their dedication and voluntary work with dance for charity events and providing entertainment at nursing homes in Griffith and surrounds, assisting in raising funds for, and providing countless volunteer hours teaching dance to new students and providing music for the Griffith Sequence Dancers.
Dedication to several organisations in Griffith including the Griffith Domestic Violence Committee, Griffith Carevan Committee, Griffith Meals on Wheels, and Griffith Soroptimists.
Sheila also volunteers her time to assist an elderly lady with her shopping, appointments and provides friendship and support. Sheila was part of the Committee which organised the Walk A Mile in Her Shoes earlier this year.
Theo is a dedicated and hard-working member the Griffith War Museum Committee, and assists in the coordination and administration of exhibitions and functions within the museum.
He has undertaken many hours of research into the Women’s Land Army in Griffith, project manager for the Girl with Grit statue, and is currently working with members of the Griffith Aboriginal community to research and record information relating to the military service of the Aboriginal community who have not been recognised.
Theo was awarded a NSW Museums and Galleries Award for his work with the museum. He is also a volunteer with Griffith Meals on Wheels.
Michelle is a highly respected and valued member of the Griffith Community Healthcare team, often going above and beyond to assist colleagues, patients and healthcare for local Aboriginal community members.
Michelle provides education and support across many services in Community Health and has worked hard to obtain a Certificate IV in Aboriginal Primary Care Practice and is now an Aboriginal Health Practitioner.
She is committed to improving the health outcomes of Aboriginal people, and is dedicated to ensuring her clients are treated equitably.
- Alexandra Louise Cox
- Harsh Rathi
- Claire Murray
- Casella Family Brands Griffith Spring Fair
- Griffith Cycle Club – NSW Masters Road Championships
- Carnivale Celebrations at Griffith Public School
- My Name is Chris
- Beauty and the Beast
- Lions Club of Griffith – Care Alert
- Griffith Can Assist
- Soroptimist International – Walk a Mile In Her Shoes
- The Girl with Grit
- Dawn Beaumont – One True Note
- The Ball in the Mall
- Yenda Cemetery Fence – Louie Forner and George Santalucia
- Peter Budd – Griffith Cycle Club
- Rob Donovan – rugby league
- Kenny Wells – rugby league
- Victoria McLeod - various
- Jarrod Rossiter - archery
- Maddie Salvestro - archery
- Torren Blanch - soccer
- Nathan Richards - AFL
- Blake Schaefer - basketball
- Isaac Testoni – basketball
- Sam Foley – AFL
- Sally Groat - dressage
- Jenna Richards - netball
- Carmela Naisby – Kyokushin Karate
- Frank Scarfone – touch football
- Nick Altin – touch football
- Julia Punteriero – touch football
- Mel Bonetti – touch football
- Glen Castellaro - shooting
- Shailyn Williams – rugby league
- Chris Latu – rugby union
- Stefanie Koro – rugby union
- Elenoa Latu – rubgy union
- Peter Budd - cycling
- Griffith Creet Cup Team - cricket
- Griffith Junior Demons under 18’s Boys Basketball Team - basketball
- Griffith Junior Demons under 16’s Girls Basketball Team - basketball
- Griffith under 12’s Football Team - soccer
- NSW PSSA Girls Football Team – soccer
- Griffith Golf Club Holden Scramble Team - golf
- Griffith Swans under 11s Red AFL Team - AFL
- Griffith Swans under 13s Red Netball Team - netball
The winner of each category will be announced at the official ceremony which starts at 9am on January 26 at the Griffith Regional Theatre.
The Griffith City Band and the Grace Band will provide entertainment while the Griffith Branch of Soroptimist International will serve a morning tea to welcome Griffith’s newest citizens and award winners.