Frank McKirdy’s legacy includes his role as the main instigator, writer and editor of the first publication of “Rice Growing in Australia.”
But his name will live on for generations after the recent McKirdy Park upgrades.
His son Graham McKirdy was recently inspired to share the story of the man the park was dedicated to.
“Frank McKirdy was born in Tyabb, Victoria on April 19 1902. He traveled by train to Griffith after a very hot journey on 10th January 1921 after having worked on orchard properties in Doncaster, Victoria.
In June 1926, Frank was appointed as agricultural Inspector by the Commission which necessitated a move to Yenda.
He was transferred to the valuation staff of the Rural bank in 1935, and was employed for a period of 32 years as district valuer. Frank met his wife Tina at Jim Melville’s orchard property farm, and was married in the Griffith Presbyterian church.
Frank’s involvement in community and area activities were many and varied: but included being on the Rice Growers General Committee and Board, and the Rural Bank representative on Irrigation Research and extension Committee.
He and his wife Tina moved to Forrest Hill, Melbourne, and he passed away peacefully at the age of 91.
“Frank McKirdy would be very proud to have a Griffith Park named after him.”