Concerns have been raised over the disposal of animal remains, after Griffith residents and council raised concerns over pig offal being dumped on Griffith streets.
With salami season underway, residents, vets and councilors are concerned over the dangerous dumping of pig intestines on public streets.
Dr Amelia Bunker from Griffith Animal Hospital says the dumping has potential to seriously poison animals.
“Dogs eating pig carcasses can experience a number of problems including a condition known as ‘pancreatitis’,” she said.
“We see pancreatitis cases every week, often in dogs that have been fed salami or types of pig meat so this is quite common.”
“Dogs that consume raw pig meat can become infected, and potentially spread this disease to humans ...affected humans can develop a life-threatening problem if tapeworm cysts develop in the brain or other areas.”
Other diseases would be possible including Brucellosis, gastroenteritis, or in rare instances botulism may occur.
Council’s Manager Planning and Environment, Carel Potgieter said there have been a number of incidences where Council has been called to clean up the carcasses over the last few weeks.
“We discovered the remains of pigs… which means rate payers are footing the bill for the removal and appropriate disposal of the carcasses” said Mr Potgieter.
Fines of up to $4,000 for an individual and $8,000 for a corporation can be issued for illegal dumping.
If you have information or have witnessed illegal dumping or vandalism, please contact Council on 6962 8100.
Remains can be disposed of at the Tharbogang Waste Management Facility – please contact the Weighbridge on 6963 6491.
For more information about tapeworm cysts developing in the brain or other areas, see Hydatids - A Disease of Dogs that Affects People