AN ELDERLY couple has been found incapacitated on the floor of their Griffith home - where they had been for three days - sparking a warning from local paramedics to look out for aging relatives.
The husband and wife, aged in their 80s, had been stranded on their lounge room floor from Wednesday until Friday last week before a family member came to check on them.
It is believed the woman fell down and injured herself and when her husband reached to help her up, he too fell and was injured.
The couple's children, also from Griffith, had attempted to call them, but it was not until Friday that somebody went around to check if they were all right.
When paramedics arrived, the pair were badly dehydrated and had not eaten in three days.
The house was stuffy and overheated.
Griffith Ambulance Station officer Paul O'Brien said if the man and woman had been wearing a Vital Call Alarm, paramedics would have been at the house in less than half an hour.
The personal alarm system is a device worn by elderly people which can be activated in an emergency.
"With summer coming this is an important reminder for people to look out for their neighbours and family members," Mr O'Brien said.
"Older people do become dehydrated more easily and it is important to keep an eye on them."
The elderly couple's family has indicated it will now look into getting a personal alarm device.