WHEN a six-year-old Griffith boy took the first bite of his Easter egg he wasn't expecting a mouth full of spider web.
The chocolate bunny purchased from The Reject Shop at Griffith Central was filled with cobwebs after spiders apparently crawled their way inside Jye Eslick's confectionary.
Jye Eslick's father Kane's heart sank when his son reacted badly to the usually exciting experience of devouring a chocolate treat.
"Jye went to me, 'Dad there are spiders', and at first I didn't realise what he was talking about but then I saw what had happened and I made him spit it out immediately," Mr Eslick said.
"My first reaction was that Jye might have been bitten on the mouth by a trapdoor, funnel web or redback spider.
"Everyone I have spoken to has told me to sue the pants off them, but I'm not generally like that, but as a father you can imagine how worried I was for my son's safety."
Mr Eslick took the egg and the receipt back to the Reject Shop but was extremely dissatisfied with the response.
According to CEO of The Reject Shop Chris Bryce the company has been trying to contact Mr Eslick but they can't get in touch.
"Today I have written to the manufacturer of this product to demand a full explanation of how this single incident could have occurred in their manufacturing process.
"I have also advised them if we cannot get a satisfactory explanation we will not buy from them in the future.
"This appears to be an isolated event and we are unaware of any other complaints regarding this product, nevertheless all remaining product has since been destroyed.
"On first hearing of the issue, the staff in the Griffith store escalated it within the
company for action according to Company procedure.
"The company telephoned Mr Eslick on three occasions but has been unable to subsequently contact him."
In a written statement The Reject Shop extended a formal apology to the Eslick family, and to Kye in particular, for any distress and discomfort caused after the Easter egg purchased from the Griffith store was found unfit for consumption.