A BLAZE sparked by a harvester ripped through 100 acres of farmland at Carrathool on the weekend.
Rural Fire Service (RFS) crews from Long Plain and Melbergen rushed to the fire on private property Greendale on Sunday.
It is believed a build-up of static electricity within the harvester ignited the blaze.
The fire burnt through the grain crop into a strip of bush on the property and took crews two hours to extinguish.
Matthew Ross from the RFS said given the ferocity of early fires across the state, farmers needed to be vigilant when it came to harvesting.
“Farmers need to check their harvest equipment and keep it clean, as dust can build up during harvest,” Inspector Ross said.
“Farmers should also carry fire extinguishers on their machines because they have a good chance of putting it out themselves if they get to it quickly enough.”
Meanwhile, RFS crews raced to extinguish a fire at Tharbogang on Sunday night.
Just before 10pm, the rubbish burn – including a mattress – was set alight in a drainage channel on the Kidman Way.
“Crews made sure to black it out completely because of the total fire ban on Monday,” Inspector Ross said.