THE kitchen of a Griffith home was destroyed by fire on Wednesday after an unattended saucepan caught alight.
Thanks to the quick response of Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Griffith and Yenda, the rest of the house was saved.
Emergency services were called to the Goolagong Street home about 12.40pm.
Police, paramedics and fire crews arrived to find thick smoke billowing from the house.
One of the eight residents of the house had left a saucepan on the stove but had forgotten to turn it off before they left.
They returned to find the entire stove alight and had attempted to extinguish it but failed.
Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Kernin Lambert said crews were required to wear breathing apparatus and erred on the side of caution that they were treating an oil fire – which would have spread extensively if sprayed with water.
Inspector Lambert said crews were particularly concerned that there was not a working smoke alarm in the house.
“Everyone must have a working smoke alarm,” Inspector Lambert said.
“This could have been so much worse if the occupants were home at the time – eight people is a very large life risk.”
Inspector Lambert also reminded people to ensure stovetops and electrical items were turned off before leaving the house.
“Coming into the fire season, the real message here is don’t leave anything unattended on the stove,” he said.
“We’d rather people didn’t get into situations where they have to attempt to put fires out.”