Family to sue over insulation death

THE family of a Griffith man who was killed while installing insulation under the Federal Government’s infamous home insulation program will be taking their son’s employer to court in Queensland.

Mitchell Sweeney, 22, was electrocuted in the roof of a property in Millaa Millaa, near Cairns in 2010 while installing foil insulation.

After the installation of the insulation was completed, Mr Sweeney stood up, stepped on a staple which went through a live wire and touched the property’s tin roof at the same time.

Mr Sweeney was one of three workers in Queensland who were killed installing the insulation between 2009 and 2010.

The company Mr Sweeney was employed by, Titan Insulation, was fined $100,000 for unsafe practices.

The family is suing Titan Insulation for medical costs and pain and suffering.

Wendy Sweeney, Mitchell Sweeney’s mother, said she hoped to see justice delivered by the court.

“All the money in the world won’t bring Mitchell back ... (but) we’d like to hear someone say sorry, which has never been said,” she said.

Mrs Sweeney said the family had travelled to Brisbane twice this year for the inquest into her son’s death.

“It’s never been proven which of the the boys stapled in the wire,” she said.

Mr Sweeney’s death has taken a significant toll on the family, with his brothers Justin and Brendan both diagnosed with serious psychological conditions.

“I’ll be glad when it’s over, another door which has closed, and then we can move on with our lives,” she said.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop