A backpackers hostel has been forced to shut down after council declared it a "substantial risk to human health and safety".
Griffith International Hostel was ordered to close on Wednesday after an inspection of the premises revealed it was run down, "unclean" and non-compliant with fire safety regulations.
The inspection was sparked by complaints from backpackers who had stayed at the hostel.
"The severity of the problem left council with no alternative but to order the premise to close while these issues are corrected," council director of sustainable development Neil Southorn said.
One backpacker, who would only speak on the condition of anonymity, told The Area News he would never stay at the hostel again.
"It was dirty - one of the toilets was out of order and leaked all over the floor, there was mould in the sink and the shower and up the walls and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a long time," the traveller said.
"There were dead cockroaches all over the place, including the kitchen, and flies everywhere.
"There weren't bedbugs in our room but some people from other rooms would get out of bed with all these bites down the back of their legs."
The backpacker and his friends stayed for seven nights because there was no accommodation available at other local hostels.
He said it had also been difficult to find work despite being told there was some coming.
As a result of the living conditions and scarcity of work, the group have now moved on to Melbourne.
"We had planned to stay in Griffith for three months but we had to leave," the visitor said.
"Places like that don't give a good impression of the town, which is a shame because the people of Griffith and the area itself are great."
Council is working with the hostel operator to fast-track a planned move to new premises.
Mr Southorn said he would continue to work with the operators of the town's three hostels in the future to ensure Griffith maintained a good reputation with the international backpacking community.
The manager of the hostel did not return The Area News' phone calls.